AstraZeneca today announced that 29 abstracts covering a range of data from the company’s research and development in diabetes have been accepted for presentation at the Annual Meeting of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) in Vienna, Austria, 15-19 September 2014.
The presentations will include the first study data on an investigational formulation of once-weekly exenatide delivered by a single-use autoinjector, as well as data on a number of approved products, including Forxiga® (dapagliflozin), Bydureon® (once-weekly exenatide extended-release for injectable suspension) and Onglyza® (saxagliptin).
“Our research reinforces our strong commitment to advancing science through rigorous clinical programmes that offer individualised treatment approaches for patients with type 2 diabetes across the disease spectrum,” said Briggs Morrison, Executive Vice President, Global Medicines Development & Chief Medical Officer, AstraZeneca. “We look forward to presenting a wide range of scientific data at EASD, including studies evaluating combination treatments to help more patients achieve their treatment goals.”
Notable abstracts for AstraZeneca investigational compounds and formulations include:
- #4 Data evaluating the efficacy and safety of the combination of saxagliptin/dapagliflozin as a dual add-on therapy in adult patients inadequately controlled on metformin Oral Presentation: Tuesday 16 September, 11:45 AM CEST
- #244 Data from the DURATION-NEO-1 trial evaluating the autoinjector formulation of once-weekly exenatide vs. exenatide twice-daily injection (Byetta®) in patients with inadequately controlled type 2 diabetes Oral Presentation: Friday 19 September, 12:15 PM CEST
Notable abstracts for AstraZeneca approved products:
- #822 An analysis evaluating the effect of dapagliflozin* on blood pressure in hypertensive and non-hypertensive patients with type 2 diabetes *dapagliflozin is not indicated for the treatment of hypertension Poster Presentation: Tuesday 16 September, 2:15 PM CEST
- #844 An analysis of three-year data from the DURATION-3 study evaluating sustained glycaemic control with exenatide once-weekly vs. insulin glargine Poster Presentation: Wednesday 17 September, 2:15 PM CEST
- #848 Four-year data from a Phase III study examining the durability of glycaemic response with dapagliflozin as add-on therapy to metformin vs. glipizide in patients with type 2 diabetes inadequately controlled with metformin alone Poster Presentation: Thursday 18 September, 1:00 PM CEST
- #852 52-week data from a Phase III study evaluating the efficacy and safety of dapagliflozin as add-on therapy to metformin plus sulphonylurea Poster Presentation: Thursday 18 September, 1:00 PM CEST
- #805 Two-year data from a Phase III trial evaluating the efficacy and safety of dapagliflozin in patients with a history of cardiovascular disease Poster Presentation: Thursday, 18 September, 2:15 PM CEST
The complete list of AstraZeneca data presentations can be accessed on the EASD website here.
NOTES TO EDITORS
About Type 2 Diabetes
Diabetes is estimated to affect more than 382 million people worldwide. The prevalence of diabetes is projected to reach more than 592 million people worldwide by 2035. Type 2 diabetes accounts for approximately 90-95 percent of all cases of diagnosed diabetes in adults. Type 2 diabetes is a chronic disease characterised by pathophysiologic defects leading to elevated glucose levels. Over time, this sustained hyperglycaemia contributes to further progression of the disease. Significant unmet needs still exist, as many adult patients remain inadequately controlled on their current glucose-lowering regimen.
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines, primarily for the treatment of cardiovascular, metabolic, respiratory, inflammation, autoimmune, oncology, infection and neuroscience diseases. AstraZeneca operates in over 100 countries and its innovative medicines are used by millions of patients worldwide. For more information please visit: www.astrazeneca.com
Esra Erkal-Paler +44 20 7604 8030 (UK/Global)
Vanessa Rhodes +44 20 7604 8037 (UK/Global)
Ayesha Bharmal +44 20 7604 8034 (UK/Global)
Jacob Lund +46 8 553 260 20 (Sweden)
Michele Meixell +1 302 885 6351 (US)
Karl Hård +44 20 7604 8123 mob: +44 7789 654364
Anthony Brown +44 20 7604 8067 mob: +44 7585 404943
Jens Lindberg mob: +44 7557 319729
Eugenia Litz +44 20 7604 8233 mob: +44 7884 735627